The Castle of Parga is located on the top of a hill overlooking the town and was used to protect the town from the mainland and the sea. It was initially built in the 11th century by the residents of Parga to protect it from the pirates and the Turks.
In the 13th century, as their control of the region increased, the Venetians rebuilt the castle to fortify the area.
In 1452, Parga and the castle was occupied by the Ottomans for two years. During that time part of the castle was demolished.
In 1537 the Ottoman admiral Hayreddin Barbarossa burnt and destroyed Parga's fortress and the houses. Within before the reconstruction of the castle in 1572 by Venetians, the Turkish demolished it once again.
The Venetians rebuilt for third and last time a perfect strong fortress that stayed impregnable until 1819, despite the attacks especially of Ali Pasa of Ioannina, who besieges them from the castle of Agia-Anthousa. Venetians created a perfect defence plan, which in combination with the natural fortification made the fortress. Outside the castle, eight towers placed in different positions completed the defence.
Inside the narrow space of citadel there were 400 houses, located in a way so that they occupied only a little room, far away from the seaside.
On this castle the free-besieged population of Parga and Souli fought epic battles and kept their freedom for centuries.
From the faucet “Kremasma” the tanks of the castle and the houses were provided with water. The castle for its provision used the two bays: of Valtos and Pogonia.
When Parga was sold to the Ottomans, Ali Pasha enhanced it even more and put on its top its harem and its Turkish bath, improving radically the rooms of the castle.
On the arched gate of entrance, on the wall, you can see the winged lion of Agios Markos, the name “ANTONIO BERVASS 1764”, emblems of Ali Pasha, two-headed eagles and relative inscriptions.
Archways, gun emplacement rooms, supplies lodges, strong bastions with gun safe boxes, safe boxes of small arms, secret passage to the sea, barracks, jails, warehouses and two block-houses at the last defense line: prove the perfection of the defense plan, which along with the natural fortification made the fortress unconquered.