The brothers, Grigorios and Elias were merchants who traded in olives, olive stones, timber, citrus fruit and acorns in the Parga region.
As a commercial venture, they established the first mechanised olive oil factory in the Parga region in 1929 and branched out into olive processing.
In 1954 the olive oil factory acquired a generator and in 1960 it was supplied with electricity. Change of ownership and the simultaneous arrival of electricity in Parga in 1960 led to renovation of the olive oil factory.
In the 1970s, Spyros Lekkas, Grigorios' son, was the sole proprietor. It seems that the last time the olive oil factory operated was during the period 1974 – 1975.
In 2009, the olive oil factory was acquired by its present owners, Athena and Elias Liakris, whose aim was the restoration and preservation of the building and to demonstrate how olive oil was manufactured in Parga.
"... for the last twenty years, five (5) mechanized olive presses have operated entirely smoothly and
continuously". This extract from the Lekkas Archive testifies to the fact that five mechanized olive
presses were operating in Parga by 1929. In 1949, it seems that they had already created a recognized
association: Union of the Olive Crushing Industry for the Region of Parga to protect their common rights.
Of these five mechanized olive presses, only the Lekkas Brothers' Olive Oil Factory has been preserved.
The original factory equipment and a part of its archive have been preserved and the premises are open
to the public.